One of my favourite ways to add more raw vegetables to my diet: Thai Curry Raw Vegetable Soup. It has a bit of a kick!
4 or 5 medium carrots
Half a head of cauliflower
2 cups grape tomatoes
half a red bell pepper
1 shallot clove
Juice of 1 lime
2 Tbl. coconut oil
2 tsp. Thai curry blend spice mix
Blend all ingredients in a Vitamix with a couple of cups of water or broth. Serve immediately. Makes about 5 cups of soup.
Some things to remember about this recipe:
- Everything is approximate. (I actually never measure anything in this soup, and the above measurements are guesses.) The taste is essentially a result of the 3 primary flavouring ingredients (coconut oil, lime juice, and spice mix), so experiment with the amount of these ingredients to add more punch to the soup.
- You can add or substitute other vegetables, though I suggest sticking with the base of carrots, tomatoes, and cauliflower. Celery is a nice addition, as is cucumber. I avoid green leafy vegetables in this particular recipe because they ruin the beautiful color of the soup. (But it will still taste great.)
- Instead of a shallot, you can use garlic, sweet onion or red onion. Just be careful with the amount, as too much of one of these ingredients is about the only way to ruin the soup.
- I use broth to deepen the flavour, and I warm the broth before adding to the Vitamix if I am serving the soup in winter.
- Can't find a Thai curry spice mix? Make your own!